The cost accountant position is accountable for the ongoing analysis of process constraints, overhead machine rates, labor rates, labor overhead rates, target costing projects, and tracing costs back to underlying activities. The cost accountant must also construct and monitor cost-effective data accumulation systems needed to provide an appropriate level of costing information to Plant Controller.
Role and Responsibilities
- Coordinate cycle counts monitoring for FIFO rules, count accuracy and lot number accurary
- Investigate cycle counting variances and resolve issues
- Devise and recommend alternative procedures to improve inventory accuracy
- Work with the Plant Control to monitor inventory levels at various locations
- Monitor system transactions to ensure inventory accuracy
- Monitor inventory levels and identify obsolete inventory
- Develop and maintain actual machine overhead rates in accounting system
- Accumulate and apply overhead costs as required by generally accepted accounting principles
- Review and compare make verses by opportunities
- Conduct ongoing process constraint analysis
- Report on break even points by products, work centers, and subcontractors
- Report on margins by product and division
- Report on periodic manufacturing order variances and their causes
- Perform cost accumulation tasks
- Report on purchasing variances
- Desired is a 3+ year cost accounting experience, a BA/BS degree in accounting
- Must have progressive experience in warehouse, inventory control and manufacturing, experience researching and reconciling inventory and/or work order discrepancies
- Must understand the calculator of overhead rates and how and when to apply them in a manufacturing process.
- Some experiences with ISO 9001 compliance
- Experience with Great Plains Manufacturing is desired, yet not required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to apply common sense, understanding of manufacturing process flow and a methodical thought process to perform detailed analysis of inventory transactions with minimal instructions.
- Must have excellent math skills.
- The right person for this position must be highly organized, independent, detail-oriented self-starter who is focused on service and has excellent communication skills.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and interface effectively across departments with all levels of staff in a fast paced, ever-changing environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb stairs or a ladder.
- Other requirements include physical dexterity, such as kneeling, bending, and the ability to lift 30 lbs.