Polymer Formulation Engineer – Natur-Tec
Job Title: Polymer Formulation Engineer – Natur-Tec – Circle Pines, MN
Play a vital role in new formulation development and twin-screw compounding of biobased/compostable polymer blends working closely with internal functions like Business Development & Sales and Manufacturing, and External Customers.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead new formulation development of biobased/compostable compounds, meeting customer specifications and industry standards.
- Apply appropriate theories and scientific principles to new product creation for best solutions.
- Research and stay on top of competitive and new-cutting edge polymer material & process technologies.
- Lead lab trials and scale-up of new bio-based and biodegradable polymer resin formulations.
- Work with manufacturing to set target process parameters that can affect product performance and quality.
- Support cost-reduction and continuous improvement efforts.
- Some travel is expected – mainly travel to contract manufacturing locations and customer locations.
- Understand raw material and/or product testing techniques, data acquisition and data analysis.
- Communicate and consult with outside technical resources, including vendors.
- Communicate project status as needed across all departments and levels of the organization, as required.
- Work safely and promote safety via raw material reviews and improved lab practices.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Advanced degree in Chemical Engineering with expertise in polymeric materials field of study, with a Ph. D. strongly preferred.
- Hands-on experience with film extrusion and/or compounding required.
- Requires working knowledge of polymers, either in synthesis or modification, formulation development.
- Knowledgeable of design of experiment techniques and other statistical tests.
- Capable of independently managing your own project while being part of a team
- Knowledgeable with polymer test methodologies including but not limited to TGA, DSC, GPC, NMR, FTIR and rheological characterization
- Has strong collaborations skills – the ability to work in a close-knit dynamic organization.
- Ability to handle large quantities of projects and to multi-task. Open to doing a variety of hands-on work and wearing multiple hats.
- Possess effective oral & written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Physical Requirements of Job:
Tasks require standing and walking, or frequent light lifting up to 10 pounds; occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds; or minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of shop or office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at keyboard or testing stations. Exposure and involvement working with various chemicals and testing stations/equipment will require mobility.
- Every employee is expected to support the NTIC Quality Management System (QMS) in accordance with our Quality System Manual and Quality Control Procedures. This position is responsible to set, follow and maintain the QMS and related Quality Control Procedures. This position also has change authority in the QMS System.
IT IS A REQUIREMENT THAT ALL NEWLY HIRED EMPLOYEES MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED BEFORE STARTING WORK. IF AN APPLICANT NEEDS TO REQUEST AN ACCOMODATION RELATED TO THIS REQUIREMENT, THEY CAN SUBMIT THAT REQUEST TO HUMAN RESOURCES’.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com or fax to 763-225-6645. No telephone calls, recruiters, or agencies please.