Senior Manager – R&D - Beachwood, OH or Houston, TX
Job Title: Senior Manager – R&D - Zerust Oil & Gas - Beachwood, OH or Houston, TX
Department/Group: Research and Development
Job Type: Full-time
Northern Technologies International Corp. is a leader in the development, manufacturing, and marketing of corrosion management solutions sold under the “Zerust” brand. Zerust Oil and Gas (ZOG) corrosion mitigation technologies have been successfully implemented for high value assets within the petroleum/petrochemical industries, such as tank farms, storage tanks, piping, offshore rigs, etc. These technologies combine our proprietary Zerust inhibitor formulations with traditional methods to provide unique and innovative corrosion mitigation solutions that include rust preventative (RP) greases, oil based RPs, water based RPs, Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) film, VCI diffusers/emitters, VCI powders, lubricating and hydraulic oil corrosion inhibiting additive packages.
ZOG is currently accepting applications to fill a position for a Senior Manager – R&D to lead certain R&D initiatives.
The Senior Manager – R&D will lead all product development engineering efforts for the Division. He/she will have responsibility for directing the chemical formulation, the field implementation engineering and the ongoing monitoring efforts to ensure effective development of new products. He/she will lead the identification, monitoring and, in conjunction with sales, the licensing/acquisition of new technologies and alliances, as appropriate, that can be incorporated into the company's current and future products. A key focus of the role is to provide strong technical product leadership coupled with equally effective project management skills.
- Develop, direct and maintain all product development programs and projects using ZOG software, including a rigorous review process, in order to ensure attainment of key milestones and adherence to product specifications, timelines and budgets.
- Lead the engineering teams to promote a high-performance, results-driven environment with a strict adherence to project management requirements.
- Support Marketing in developing a strong product pipeline and a portfolio of marketed products that are differentiated and provide competitive advantage for the company.
- Formulate and implement the long-term strategy with respect to new and emerging technologies that advance company objectives.
- Attract, develop and retain top talent for the R&D function, while motivating staff to continually improve its performance.
- Support the identification, monitoring and, in conjunction with business development, the licensing/acquisition of new technologies that can be incorporated into the company's current and future products.
- Drive all R&D aspects of Intellectual Property (IP) to ensure no conflict with any prior art while working with lawyers, as required, to write/submit patentable inventions.
- Manage client, trade forum, 3rd Party laboratory and other external research collaborations.
The Senior Manager – R&D will possess strong technical knowledge and vision and have a demonstrated history of leading teams in the development of new chemical products, bringing these products to market on time and within budget.
- Minimum of a BS in Chemistry or Materials Science
- Experience/knowledge with corrosion inhibitors
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in progressive research and product development leadership roles within global companies that develop, manufacture and sell anti-corrosion solutions.
- Track record of published papers at trade conferences like NACE
- Experience in setting and scaling the research and development function, with the proven ability to attract, inspire, motivate and retain top tier talent.
- Proven ability to establish, articulate and implement a concrete product development strategy that clearly aligns with corporate and commercial goals.
- Experience with distributed teams and business partners.
- Provide technical support to the Sales and Marketing teams as needed
- Responsible for the management of the laboratory facilities and equipment.
- Interface with customers for technical support and to conduct field trials
- Prepare and present at internal and external events/conferences
- Work with Marketing team to develop relevant product information
- Develop new test methods to evaluate product performance outside of typical testing parameters
The successful candidate will be self-motivated with a passion to use the technology at hand to solve client corrosion problems. Candidate should demonstrate a track record of using project management software/tools to align team activities to achieve company goals. The current R&D facilities are in Beachwood, OH with an upcoming facility planned in/around Houston, TX – there may be some travel required between the two facilities.
Physical Requirements of Job
Tasks require, bending, light lifting, or other restricted physical activities. Mixing chemicals, wearing a respirator and/or other protective equipment; some tasks require dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of shop or office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at keyboard or standing.